Sunday, November 13, 2011

Junior Dos Santos didn't do the UFC any favors, but they didn't help themselves




by: James Brooks



Don't get me wrong, it was an impressive victory.  It took Junior Dos Santos all of one minute and four seconds to TKO Cain Velasquez, a man described just earlier by Joe Rogan as having "literally no weaknesses."  The problem was the timing.  This was the UFC's debut on FOX.  There were going be to be millions of people tuning in who have never really seen the UFC or quality mixed martial arts.  This was a chance for the UFC to win over the casual observer, a huge step for MMA.   So what exactly did they tune in to see?  30 minutes of pre-fight analysis between Kurt Menafee, Dana White, and Brock Lesnar, some packages on Velasquez and Dos Santos (which I liked), one, one minute fight, and 15 more minutes of post-fight analysis with the same three. 

(On a side note: What was with the NFL on FOX music played every time they came back from break?  I felt like I was about to watch the Packers and Cowboys play.  I swore the camera was about to cut to Joe Buck and Troy Aikman at any second.  I guess it's the "Fox Sports" theme but I associate it with NFL games.  It felt weird.)

The spectacle looked great though, and it was awesome being able to sit in my living room and watch the Heavyweight Championship on my couch in Hi-Def.  I usually go out to a local bar to catch the UFC pay-per-views so I was looking forward to this. 

I enjoyed the fight, because regardless of the outcome I would have been interested in watching it anyway.  I try to watch almost every UFC PPV I can.  Dana White will tell you it was a success.  But I got the impression from the casual observer, it was not.  The people I watched the fight with were people who were aware of, but not in any way knowledgeable about, the UFC.  And some had probably seen an episode of The Ultimate Fighter or UFC Unleashed, and perhaps caught a PPV out with their friends once or twice.  Sports fans who still hadn't been completely won over by the UFC.  People that won't miss an NFL game on TV but wouldn't know if they missed a UFC title fight the night before.  These are the people the UFC had the opportunity to impress.  And I was excited to watch it happen, ready for these casual fans to see what it's all about and how great it is if you are a sports fan. 

I have to say I was disappointed because they were disappointed.  They complained of too much hype and not enough action.  Some felt the fight was stopped too early and the fighters still had plenty in them.  (I understand by rule why the fight was stopped, I'm just telling you their feelings.)  They didn't understand why there was only one fight. 

Neither did I honestly.  At least if you air two or three fights, if one does happen to be a one minute knockout, you have a couple of other fights to put on a show.

All in all, I felt they left feeling the same way the came in, not really worried if they do or don't see a UFC fight. 

I think if the main event had gone longer, and there were more exchanges it might be a different story.  The bottom line is it wasn't really that exciting of a fight.  Some 1st round knockouts have you jumping out of your seat saying 'wow', like the Anderson Silva kick to Vitor Belfort's face.  But even the TKO was boring.  A punch to the back of the ear that doesn't so much rock Cain, but throws off his balance, and then a few shots to the head, Cain goes limp for a second, fight stopped.  Eh. 

You can't blame Junior, he was awesome.  He came in and did exactly what he had to, and won the title.   But I wonder how many UFC and FOX guys, Dana included, in the back of their head had hoped it would have taken him a little longer.  Did anyone notice his critique of Cain's approach?  It felt to me like he was disappointed the fight didn't go longer.  But that's the sport.  Especially when you get the best heavyweights up there with one punch knockout power, it happens.  Dana knows this. 

They might have been better off putting Light Heavyweights or Middleweights in the main event.  Silva almost always puts on a show.  They also would have been better off showing more fights.  The Guida v Henderson fight aired on Facebook was great, that would have been a perfect undercard to the Heavyweight fight.  And get one more quality fight in there and you might have something.

They are supposed to be doing this with future UFC on FOX events as they've signed a 7 year agreement with one another.  So ideally this is just the beginning.  I just worry it might be a little too late.  I'd say half of those people I mentioned earlier won't care enough to set aside time specifically for watching the next UFC event.  Dana White and the UFC didn't capitalize on their debut to millions of people like they could have and should have.  And it disappoints me as a UFC fan.




No comments:

Post a Comment